Determine the Admin Password
How to verify the admin user password
If you’re the admin and you consistently use the password, you probably won’t have any difficulty supplying the correct password.
However, there are other cases where the admin password is relayed to you, perhaps verbally or in an email. This adds uncertainty and can contribute to mistakes when relaying the password to us for conversion.
In these cases it’s a good idea to verify the password is correct.
Verify the password by trying to open the company file in QuickBooks:
- You can use any recent version of QuickBooks Desktop to do this, even non-Enterprise versions and versions that are older than your file.
- For example, if you have an Enterprise 2021 file, you can try to open it in Pro or Premier 2021 or 2020 or 2019.
- Here’s what will happen:
- If you get the password wrong, you’ll get a message that says the password is wrong.
- If you get the password right, then if you’re not using Enterprise or you’re using an older version-year of Enterprise, you’ll get one of several messages that say, basically, “you can’t open this file”.
How to recover the admin user password
If you don’t know the password:
- Ask the prior administrator, or the client, or any other employees that should know it.
- If you have no way to figure it out, then use the Intuit QuickBooks automated password reset tool
How to determine the admin user
Background: The Admin user for each company file is a special user that is set up by default when the file is created. There can be only one Admin user.
If additional users have not been added to to your file, then when you log in you’ll see only a field for the password.
In a file with multiple users, you’ll see a user name field as well as a password field.
To verify the Admin user name, choose Company | Users | View Users from the QuickBooks menu. You’ll get a window that looks like this:
The admin user name will be listed with “(Admin)” after the name. Usually this will look like “Admin (Admin)”, or it could be something like Natalie (Admin).